Current Occupants of the Former Altoona Works Sites
The below is a list of businesses which operate on the former acreage of the Altoona Works. Not all of those listed are operating out of the original buildings. While not considered a part of the Altoona Works, the Hollidaysburg shop will be included here. See notes below.
Altoona Car Shops
- Union Tank Car Company
- Operates out of the former passenger car paint shop, carpenter shop, bolt shop, and utilizes transfer table
- Operates out of the former machine/metal shop, blacksmith shop, and passenger car erecting shop #2
Altoona Machine Shops - 12th Street Car Shops
- Altoona Pipe & Steel
- Operates out of a few original buildings, including a former firehouse, storehouse, and erecting shop
- Antis Salvage
- Scrap & salvage operation operating in the former "westbound empty receiving yard"
- NS Rose Yard
- Present operations of Altoona yard concentrated in the "preference & advance tracks," "eastward receiving yard," and "westbound empty yard"
- NS Juniata Locomotive Shop
- Still in operation as a major railroad shop operating out of original buildings except a couple which have burned, with some new construction
South Altoona Foundries
Samual Rea Car Shops - Hollidaysburg Car Shop
- Advanced Metal Processing
- The Degol Organization
- Original building in use after renovation and the addition of countless windows to allow in outside light.
- Hollidaysburg Railcar Storage
Copyright © 2007-2018 L.R. Myers. All rights reserved.
Back to AltoonaWorks.info